You can use Google Groups to not only share information, but also as distribution lists and collaborative inboxes.
Here's how to create a group:
- Go to Google Groups.
- Near the top left corner, click Create group.
- Select a name for your group.
- Select an email address for the group (spaces and special characters are not allowed)
- Provide group description.
- Choose the type of group you want to create. TIP: Different groups can serve different purposes and have different workflows.
- Email list - An Email list group is one whereby members only use Email to communicate. This group type is common in organizations where a single email alias is desired to communicate to a certain group of people using email.
- Web forum - A Web forum group is one whereby members only use the Google Groups user interface to communicate with other members. This group type is similar to the online web forums found on many web sites.
- Q&A forum - A Question and Answer (Q&A) forum group is one whereby members use the Google Groups user interface to primarily answer the questions of other members. This group type is similar to the online product forum.
- Collaborative inbox - A collaborative inbox allows members of a group to manage the workflow state of topics within the group. These groups have specific features and permissions set. If you choose to not use these features, they will need to be disabled individually.
Choose who can join, post, and see topics in your group.
|SETTING||DESCRIPTION||HOW TO MAKE CHANGES|
|View topics||Choose who can read your group’s posts. You can select managers, all members, or make your topics public.||Click the Select group of users drop-down and pick an option.|
|Post||Choose who can share posts with the group. You can select managers, all members, or make your topics public.||Click the Select group of users drop-down and pick an option.|
|Join the group||Choose who can become a member of the group. You can make your group public, only available to invited users, or let anyone to ask to join (you can then approve or deny their membership request).||Click the Select who can join drop-down and pick an option.|
|New member question||Automatically ask a question to the people who want to join your group. You can ask why someone wants to join the group, or just collect fun trivia to share with your group.||1. In the “Join the group” setting, select “Anyone can ask.” 2. Type your text in the box next to “New member question,” then click Save in the upper-left corner.|
- When done, near the top left corner, click Create group button.